seoul snow jam

Monday, December 14, 2009 | |

from the top

This past weekend, Seoul hosted a round of the FIS Snowboard Big Air World Cup on a 110-ft high ramp built smack dab in the city's downtown and traditional cultural and historical heart, Gwanghwamun Plaza. I guess you could say it's Seoul's equivalent of Times Square or the Champs-Elysee. I've got some fond memories of it as I was down there seven years ago during the third place game of the 2002 World Cup, where about a million people had gathered to watch the game on big screens.

Apparently, this Seoul Snow Jam festival was a pretty big success, and drew in an estimated three-day attendance total of 260,000 people; I heard it even made the local news back home. Apparently it was the first time an FIS competition had been held in an urban center, and it was a pretty well-organized event; they even managed to keep the 10 lanes of traffic streaming through the plaza the whole time.

I made it out on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon for some of the prelim heats; more pics after the break.



approaching seoul snow jam

sejong and snowboarding

DSC_3612

DSC_3542

DSC_3588

seoul snow jam

My blog / RSS feed
My Flickr photostream / RSS feed
My Flickr map

0 comments: