snow on soju

Monday, May 17, 2010 | |

snow on soju
Mapo-gu, Seoul, December 2009

These crates of empty soju bottles are lined outside most any eating establishment in Korea. Each bottle contains 7 shots and can be bought for 1500 won, or about $1.30, at any 7-11 or convenience store.

I miss soju.

Addendum: I just saw the Korean movie Mother last week at the local indie theater in Duluth. Directed by Bong Joon-ho (who directed The Host, one of my all-time favorite movies), it was out in Korea when I arrived last June, but I didn't manage to see it there as it wasn't subbed in English. Anthony Lane, in his review for the New Yorker, writes, "you can practically hear the deep stream of alcohol that flows beneath the movie, flooding every class and profession. What common sorrows, you want to ask, are being drowned?"

My blog / RSS feed
My Flickr photostream / RSS feed
My Flickr map

0 comments: