life is fair

Friday, August 19, 2011 | |

life is fair
I rode the Spirit Mountain alpine coaster yesterday with a good friend of mine. His name is Junghoon. He’s Korean, 7 years old, and talks in English that he learned mostly from watching Spongebob. We rode down the coaster, screaming and yelling as we shot down through the forest. On the slow ride up, he leaned back and proclaimed:

“I think this is best day of my life!”

“Really?” I said.

“Yup! Best day of my life.” He threw his head back and let out a contented sigh. “Ooooahhhh!

He closed his eyes. We drifted up the hillside through a tunnel of trees. I looked down at him, sitting in my lap, leaves’ shadows gliding across his face. I closed my eyes too.

“Life is fair!”

“Huh?” I said, craning my head to look at him. He met my gaze, saw my confusion, and explained.

“Sometime, life is not fair.”

He leaned back again and smiled. “Today, life is fair.”

When we reached the top of the hill, we rode it again.



2 comments:

Lauren (Liam's Mum) said...

I LOVE this, it is so sweet. Mark, I just found your website. Your photographs are beautiful.

Mark Z said...

Thanks so much Lauren! It's great to hear from you; I hope you, Rob, and the kids are having a great summer up north! Please say hi to Liam for me—I miss that guy!
Mark