hiking on bukhansan

Monday, November 02, 2009 | |

Three weekends ago, I went hiking with some coworkers on Bukhansan, the mountain that stands directly over the northern edge of Seoul, its foothills snaking their way right into busy neighborhoods. It's visible from almost anywhere in the city--including directly from my bathroom window. It had been beckoning to me ever since I'd gotten here, but I'd been waiting for fall to arrive. The day we went, the weather was perfect--it had just become cool enough that we had finally stopped complaining about the ineffective air conditioning in the classrooms in school. The leaves were just starting to change colors, too...

red leaf

This was also the weekend after I dropped my kit lens off a railing at Anguk station and so all I had was my 50mm prime--so no wide landscape shots for me. More after the break.



It is often noted that hiking is a pretty serious sport over here, undertaken mainly by the multitudes of tough-as-nails middle-aged Korean women (ajummas: "The stereotypical 'ajumma' image is that of a short, stocky, tough old woman who wears purple pants and permed hair, and has sharp elbows on the subway") and their husbands (ajosshis) less, it would seem, for the views and outdoors spirit, than for the opportunity for sheer physical exertion.

hiker

Undaunted by the ajummas and ajosshis passing us right and left, we pressed onwards...
to the top

...past interesting things...
tv and bucket

...until it was time to rest...
DSC_0084

DSC_0078

...and then keep going...
DSC_0116

DSC_0133

DSC_0144

...until we joined the crowds...
DSC_0183

DSC_0189

...at the top.

seoul from bukhansan

Time to relax.
DSC_0197

DSC_0271

DSC_0279

DSC_0286

DSC_0287

lazy susan

DSC_0304

DSC_0348

family on wall

pink stripes

And eventually go down.
goijng down

red and white

sunset on bukhansan



My blog / RSS feed
My Flickr photostream / RSS feed
My Flickr map

0 comments: